Neurology - Department of Neurology, Göttingen, Prof. Dr. med. Mathias Bähr
PD Dr. med. Paul Lingor
Senior Consultant in Charge
- PD Dr. med. Paul Lingor
Direct contact via
phone / email / contact formContact Heidi Gottfried SecretaryPhone: +49 (0) 551 / 39 – 6603 Fax: +49 (0) 551 / 39 – 8405International Contact ServicePhone: +49 (0) 551 / 39 – 6603
Department of Neurology
Prof. Dr. med. Mathias Bähr
Location & Directions
140 kilometer – approx. 1 hour 12 minutes
- Diagnosis and treatment of neurovascular diseases, especially ischemic strokes
- Diagnosis and treatment of neuro-immunological diseases, particularly multiple sclerosis
- Diagnosis and treatment for movement disorders, primarily Parkinson’s disease
- Diagnosis and treatment of dementia, especially atypical dementia
- Diagnosis and treatment of neuromuscular diseases
The Department of Neurology of the Universitätsmedizin Göttingen (Göttingen University Hospital) offers care and treatment for the whole spectrum of patients with neurological diseases.
We are equipped with three conventional wards with standard care, one certified stroke unit with ten beds, and one intensive care ward with twelve ventilation units. In addition, we offer early rehabilitation, as well as the option of a day clinic or partial hospitalization treatment. Patients may visit our outpatient Unit (Polyclinic) between 8:00 am and 4:00 pm (on regular working days).
Here, specialists for selected diseases (e.g. Motoneuron Disorders) are your contact persons.
The Department offers an extensive range of specific diagnostic procedures like extra and transcranial Doppler/Duplex ultrasound, electromyography (EMG), electroencephalography (EEG), evoked potentials (EP), and detailed CSF examination in the neurochemistry laboratory.
In close cooperation with the Department of Neuroradiology imaging examinations of the nervous system(CT,MRI, and angiography) are carried out, as well as interventional endovascular therapies. Surgery of the carotid arteries is carried out in cooperation with the Department for Chest, Heart and Vascular Surgery.
The scientific focus of the Department is directed at a better understanding of the pathophysiology of neurological diseases with the aim to identify important cellular and molecular mechanisms and to develop new therapeutic strategies.
The different research groups in our Department work on key areas of neuro-degenerative diseases. (Parkinson's disease, ALS, Huntingdon's disease, SCA), CNS trauma and neuro-regeneration, ischemia, multiple sclerosis, neuroinfectiology and dementia/prion diseases.
A special molecular-biological and cell-biological interest is common to allresearch teams, which is also reflected in the thight cooperation within the Department and with many research groups locally, nationally and internationally.
- Sleep screening
- Doppler ultrasound
- Duplex ultrasound
- CSF analyses
- Neuro-psychological test procedures
- Intra-arterial and intravenous thrombolysis for ischemic stroke
- Immune modulating therapy (i.v. lgG, plasmapheresis etc.)
- Pump therapy for Parkinson's disease
- Intensive neurology, main focus on intra-cerebral bleeding and encephalitis
- Experimental therapy for Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease
Special Offers / Arrangements / Rooms
- Double rooms throughout, with en suite bathroom, option of single room occupancy or bringing in relatives
- Individual options for dietary and personal selection of food for patients
- Gastronomic service for relatives and patients in the in-house cafeteria
- Book lending from the in-house patient library (also, more than once a week, a mobile library visits each ward)
- Regular cultural events, for example, patient concerts in the East Hall of the Clinic
- Short transport times and good accessibility on foot are features of the Dpartments of the Göttingen University Hospital, because almost all departments and service facilities are situated in one building
- Göttingen is geographically located in the center of Germany and provides a stop for all high speed trains (ICE) of the North South connection. This means that there is a direct non-stop connection to Hanover and Frankfurt Airport. Hotel accommodation is located within walking distance of the hospital