Special Clinical Focus
- Prosthetic lumbar intervertebral discs
- Prosthetic cervical intervertebral discs
- Endoscopic intervertebral disk surgery
- Spinal fractures
- Minimally invasive spinal surgery
- Bone cement injection
OCM in Munich specialises in all surgically treated orthopaedic conditions. It consists of the OCM Private Clinic, the Medical Care Centre and the joint orthopaedic practice and constitutes one of the largest orthopaedic surgical treatment centres in Germany. Here, highly qualified specialists, qualified medical employees and competent clinical nursing personnel work together in order to provide the best possible care for patients with musculoskeletal conditions. This also includes in-house research by which the existing techniques are further developed and optimised.
The specialist Department of Spinal Surgery at OCM Munich covers the entire range of surgical treatment options. The cervical, thoracic and lumbar spine are treated surgically, whether for degenerative or accident-related changes. Tumorous conditions of the spine represent a further focus of treatment.
Minimally invasive or endoscopic procedures are utilised for the treatment wherever possible, without complex and gruelling open surgery on the spinal column. Here, the objective of the surgeons is always to utilise so-called non-fusion techniques. This means that the manoeuvrability of the spinal column is maintained and no bracing elements are introduced in order to stabilise the spinal column.
If necessary, however, highly complex stabilisation techniques, e.g. the replacement of entire spinal vertebrae, can also be performed. The objective is to neutralise the cause of the pain, to preserve the nerves and the spinal cord and to make a quality of life with freedom from pain once more possible for the patient.
The Treatment Centre of the OCM draws on state-of-the-art diagnosis and surgical facilities. Hence, each individual patient benefits from the extensive clinical experience of the spinal specialists, up-to-date techniques, as well as expertise and care during the treatment. From the first consultation to the last rehabilitation appointment, you are in the best of hands. The following specialists work in the Spinal Department at OCM Orthopaedic Surgery:
Prof. Hans Hertlein
- Specialist in spinal surgery (Focus Medical Practitioner's List of the TOP Medical Practitioners)
Dr Alexander Kirgis
- Spinal surgery (prosthetic intervertebral discs, bracing surgery, spinal stabilisation, dilatation of the spinal canal)
Dr Markus Schroedel
- Spinal surgery
- approximately 300 standard and minimally invasive procedures on the spinal column per year
- Spinal surgery (dilatation of the spinal canal, stabilisation procedures, spinal fractures, pain diagnostics, pain therapy)
Selected expert in the specialist field Spine / Spinal Surgery