Prof. Klaus-Peter Guenther
Specialist for Orthopedics, Pediatric orthopedics, Hip surgery, Hip endoprosthetics, Knee endoprosthetics, Shoulder endoprosthetics in Dresden
Prof. Günther is considered an outstanding orthopedic surgeon and hip surgeon in Saxony. The respected clinic director has a high level of expertise, especially in prostheses and artificial joints for hip, knee and shoulder. By the way, pediatric orthopedics is also one of his areas of expertise.
Special Clinical Focus
- Primary endoprosthetics for medical conditions and following injury
- Revision endoprosthetics for loosening and mechanical, as well as inflammatory complications
- Arthroscopic procedures (inspection of the joint) as a diagnostic and minimally invasive technique: removal of loose bodies in the joint, treatment of impingement, surgery to the labrum
- Arthroscopically-assisted offset reconstruction and surgical hip luxation for pronounced forms of hip impingement
- Corrective procedures to the femur in the region of the hip (e.g. changeover surgery) for the treatment of malposition
- Acetabular roof reconstruction and pelvic osteotomy (minimally invasive techniques)
In the field of endoprosthetics, the University Centre for Orthopaedics and Emergency Surgery of the Carl Gustav Carus University Hospital in Dresden provides exceptional care for affected patients. Hence, the department has been designated a Maximum Care Endoprosthetics Centre. This is the highest level of certification awarded by endoCert. It requires strict adherence to high standards, and this is continually monitored by independent consultants.
For the patients, the endoCert Certificate means that they can expect outstanding treatment quality. This includes a wide range of diagnostic and treatment services, a large number of treatments and regular advanced training courses for the entire medical staff. All endoprosthetic procedures at the EndoProsthetics Centre in Dresden are performed by certified lead surgeons. The endoCert Certificate lists Prof. Klaus-Peter Guenther as the Senior Lead Surgeon and thus designates him as a specialist with the highest level of expertise in the field of artificial joint replacement.
Prof. Guenther is the Executive Director of the University Centre for Orthopaedics and Emergency Surgery at the Technical University of Dresden. His clinical and scientific emphases are complex hip endoprosthetics and revision endoprosthetics, research into the provision of hip joint replacement, the epidemiology of degenerative joint conditions and joint-preserving hip surgery. Prof. Guenther has published numerous specialist articles on these topics, which are based on his long-standing research and his over 25 years of experience as a specialist orthopaedic surgeon.
As the holder of the Chair of Orthopaedics at the Medical Faculty of the Technical University of Dresden, Prof. Guenther trains emerging medical practitioners. As a member and sometime board member, however, he also undertakes responsibility in relevant specialist associations. In addition, he is also active on several committees as a consultant and examiner.
Together with his outstanding colleagues, Prof. Guenther contributes to the ranking of the Carl Gustav Carus University Hospital Dresden by an independent review site as one of the top 3 German hospitals.
- Special X-ray imaging
- Sectional imaging technique (magnetic resonance imaging with special sequences and computed tomography)
- Virtual movement analysis of the hip joint (radial sections)
- Measurement of the femoral and acetabular torsion (MRI or CT)
- Arthrography and probatory local anaesthetic infiltration
- Out-patient examinations, preliminary diagnostics (X-ray, MRI, CT, etc.) and detailed advice (on referral by the attending orthopaedic surgeon, as a rule)
- Decision concerning the indication for surgical, joint-maintaining treatment, endoprosthesis implantation or further non-surgical measures
- Planning and commencement of preparation for surgery, including autologous blood donation and rehabilitation following the procedure
Special Offers / Arrangements / Rooms
Carl Gustav Carus University Hospital, Dresden, at the Technical University of Dresden